13 Numbers Make Your Business Stand Out From the Crowd
These Short, Easy-to-Remember Numbers Help to Increase Your Advertising Return on Investment
13 numbers allow customers from all over the country to call your business for the cost of a local call. They work in much the same way as 1300 Numbers, with the main difference being their shorter length:
- 13 13 13 (6-digit 13 Numbers)
- 1300 130 130 (10-digit 1300 Numbers)
13 Numbers also attract a government surcharge of $7980 per annum or $848.84 per month (excluding GST), which is payable on top of your monthly rental and call charges.
With no contracts, no monthly minimum call spend and low monthly plans and call rates, Alltel makes it easy to have a 13 Number for your business.
Click the tabs below to find out more about 13 Numbers, or you can view our Critical Information Summary (CIS) for this service.
Why Does Your Business Need an Alltel 13 Number?
|Advertise a phone number that's easy to remember.
These short (6-digit) numbers are very easy to remember, which makes them ideal to use in marketing campaigns.
|Give your business a more professional image.
Many of Australia's top businesses use 13 phone numbers: get one for your business and you'll look like you're in the big league!
|Encourage more customers to call.
Customers can phone you for the cost of a local call from any landline in Australia.
|Spend your marketing dollars more effectively.
Take advantage of built-in reports that show details of all calls and help you to measure the return on investment.
|Give your business a national presence.
Attract customers from all around the country—your 13 Number works Australia-wide.
|Route calls to different numbers based on the time of day.
For example, outside of regular office hours you can automatically route all calls to your mobile phone or an Alltel Live Answering Service.
|Route calls to different locations based on caller location.
For example, automatically route West Australian callers to your Perth office and callers from New South Wales to your Sydney office.
|Save money with free local calls.
Alltel was the first to offer unlimited "free talk-time", which lets you receive all of your local landline-to-landline calls for FREE!
|Limit disruptions for the life of your business.
It's quick and easy to redirect your 1800 Number, which keeps your phones ringing if you relocate or expand.
How Do 13 Numbers Work?
A 13 Number is a computerised "inbound" number that can be directed to any phone you choose including a landline, mobile, VoIP, fax or live answering service. There's no need to install new phone lines: you simply answer the calls on your existing phones.
These numbers are for receiving incoming calls only—you still use your regular phone to make outgoing calls.
13 Numbers can be configured to meet your business needs. They are highly flexible, giving you complete control over which phones ring when. This is called routing, and here are just a few examples:
- Ring your office landline during business hours, and ring your live answering service or mobile number after hours.
- Ring the office closest to your caller's location (right down to the local Telstra exchange)—for example, direct all calls from Victoria to your Melbourne office and all calls from Queensland to your Brisbane office.
- Share incoming calls equally between your sales or support team.
- Find out more about the available 13 Number routing options.
How Do You Get a 13 Number?
You can get a 13 Number in either of the following ways:
- By bidding on a 13 Number through the www.smartnumbers.com.au government auction web site (prices start from $250).
- Free 13 Numbers are also available from Alltel. Please phone our Customer Care Team on 1300 ALLTEL (1300 255 835), and we'll help you select the best available number.
How Much Does it Cost Your Customers to Call?
13 Numbers provide low-cost calls when dialled from Australian landlines, which can help to encourage more customers to call:
- When dialled from any Australian landline, calls are charged at the cost of a local call.
- When dialled from a VoIP phone, calls are charged at a cost determined by the VoIP carrier (usually the cost of a local call).
- When dialled from a mobile phone, calls are charged at a cost determined by the mobile carrier, with some carriers including 13 and 1300 calls in their caps and plans and others charging extra for these calls.
How Do You Want YOUR 13 Numbers to Work?
After you complete your application, we will set up your 13 number for you. If we require additional information, we will call you. During the online application, you can choose from different routing options.
13 numbers are highly configurable, and can be set up to route (or redirect) to different destination numbers under different conditions such as
- at different times of the day or week
- in different geographical locations
- according to the caller's location
Because these numbers do not require a physical phone line, you can configure them to be answered in any of the following ways:
- The most common configuration is to start by ringing your nominated business number, mobile phone or home-office phone number. If that number is busy or you don't answer within a specified time (say 10 seconds), the number can be configured to automatically redirect to a second number (for example, to an Alltel live answering operator or Voice2Email service).
- If your calls are routed (redirected) to Alltel's Live Answering Service, they can be handled in a number of ways according to your requirements. Our live answering receptionists greet callers using your business name, and then take a message (which they forward to you via email, SMS and customer portal).
- Another popular option is to forward calls to our automated touchtone Call Forwarding IVR menu, which allows callers to quickly select the person or department they want to talk to.
- You can also route calls to Alltel's Voice2Email service, where the caller leaves a message, which is then converted to a WAV file and sent to you as an email attachment.
What Are the Differences Between 1800, 1300 and 13 Numbers?
Australia-wide number: use locally or nationally
Route to any number: e.g. landline , mobile, fax , live answering
Route single number to multiple locations (depending on time
Popular routing options, including time-based and state-based,
Compatible with auto-attendant IVR systems
Compatible with PBX and hosted PBX systems
For caller: free call when dialled from landline*
For caller: local cost call when dialled from landline*
For business: FREE talk time available for local calls landline to landline
Annual government fee for normal issue numbers (carried with Alltel)
|FREE||FREE||$7980/year or $848.84/mo|
Annual government fee for Smartnumbers (carried with Alltel)
|FREE||FREE||$7980/year or $848.84/mo|
|Read More||Read More||Read More|
* Calls made from mobile phones to 1800, 1300 and 13 numbers are charged at a cost determined by the caller's mobile carrier.
Which Type of Number is Right for You?
13 Numbers attract a $7980 annual government surcharge, which makes them more suited to larger businesses looking for a short, easy-to-remember phone number.
There is no difference in the functionality of 1800 Numbers and 1300 Numbers and they both come with plans starting from just $14 a month, so it really comes down to your business needs:
- Choose a 1800 Number if its important for you to be able to provide a free-call option for your customers.
- Choose a 1300 Number if you're going to be receiving a large number of local landline-to-landline calls (to take advantage of FREE talk time minutes).
- If neither one of the above is important to you, choose the number you like best! Search through our list of currently available 1800 and 1300 numbers.
What Do 13 Numbers Cost?
13 numbers in Australia attract a government surcharge of $7980 per annum excluding GST (if paid in advance) or $848.84 per month (includes administration fee when paid in monthly instalments on a minimum 12 month contract). Note that this surcharge does NOT apply to 1300 numbers.
|Calls Answered on a Landline|
|Local Calls||4.5¢||30 FREE minutes then 4.4¢||UNLIMITED FREE minutes||UNLIMITED FREE minutes|
|National (Long Distance) Calls*||10.7¢||9.7¢||5.7¢||6.7¢|
|Calls from Mobile Phones*||16.7¢||10.7||6.7¢||11.7¢|
|Calls Answered on a Mobile Phone|
Things you should know:
All prices quoted exclude GST. A one-time $19 setup fee applies. A government surcharge of $7980 per annum (or $848.84 per month) applies in addition to Alltel's monthly fees and charges for 13 Numbers. Unless otherwise stated, there are NO term contracts. We require one calendar month written notice to cancel your service or change provider. Call rates above are shown per minute. Calls are billed pro-rata in one-second increments. For National and Mobile calls, the minimum call charge is 15c. No minimum monthly call spend. No flagfall. No call connection fee. Minimum cost for service (including $19 setup fee) is $33+GST+government surcharge. Plans can be upgraded/downgraded at any time for free: changes come into effect at the beginning of the next calendar month. Complex routing/barring configurations typically incur additional set up and monthly fees. Landlines include any fixed line service including fixed phone ines, live answering services and fax machines. Rates quoted are for new On-Net customers applying via this web site. (Off-Net rates may be slightly higher.) Alltel's services are available only to credit-approved customers. Fees apply when making changes to answering points and routing for existing services. A cancellation fee of $25 may apply if you cancel your service within the first 12 months. Additional account fees may also apply. Click here to view the Critical Information Summary (CIS) for this service.
Which Plan is Right for Your Business?
|Plan Name||Monthly Fee|
|New business start ups: You don't need to spend money installing a new phone line—an Alltel 13 number can ring your existing landline or mobile phone and keep your private phone numbers private. Fast setup, low cost and low risk for your new business.||Lite||$14|
|Small business and sole traders: Encourage more customers to call you and NOT your competitors—an Alltel 13 number not only offers customers FREE calls, it also gives ypur business a more professional image and makes you look more established.||Saver||$19|
|Medium size and growing businesses: Keep your business well connected—your Alltel 13 number can be shared across a growing team, across multiple offices and even across multiple states. It can also move with you if you relocate.||Super Saver||$29|
|Mobile businesses: Save money if you answer most or all of your calls using mobile phones—this plan offers our most competitive mobile pricing, and is ideal for businesses where workers are often away from the office making heavy use of their mobile phones (e.g. real estate).||Mobile Roamer||$39|
Which Phones Do You Want your 13 Number to Ring?
You have complete control over which phone (or phones) incoming calls are "routed" to when someone dials your 13 number. (You can learn more about routing here.)
|Routing Options||Monthly Fee|
|Emergency routing plan||FREE*|
* Note that some complex routing options may attract additional monthly charges to your 13 number. See details of all 13 number fees & charges.
Your calls are answered by our Australian operators when you're not available.
Direct incoming calls, quickly and efficiently: for Sales, press 1 for support, press 2 ...
Enjoy the convenience of a single carrier, single bill, and single point of contact.