What is a Smartnumber and does my business need one?
Smartnumbers® are highly memorable phone numbers that are considered to be "the best" 1800, 13 and 1300 numbers available.
A Smartnumber can be a valuable marketing tool if it is a highly patterned number, for example 1300 50 10 50.
When Smartnumbers can be translated into words, such as 1300 ALLTEL, they are also known as phone words or alpha numbers. A caller dials an alpha number by pressing the corresponding letters on a telephone keypad. Alpha numbers can be easier for callers to remember, especially when they can be linked to an organisation's name or function, for example 1300 PIZZAS.
These numbers are very easy to remember, which makes the ideal for marketing campaigns. They also provide all of the benefits and flexibility associated with regular 1800, 13 and 1300 numbers.
Why your Business Needs a Smartnumber
- Improve your customers' awareness These easy-to-remember numbers make valuable marketing tools. For example, 1300 POTATO is much easier to remember than 1300 768 286—especially days or even weeks after first seeing or hearing the advertised number.
- Endless possibilities From an advertising perspective, your alpha number can be displayed in a longer format. For example, you can advertise 1300 SMARTDOG (1300 762 783 64). When someone dials the number, it starts to connect as soon as the 1300 762 783 has been dialled with all excess digits being ignored. (This is referred to as "over dial".)
- Flexibility You have three years from payment of the winning bid amount to getting the number activated. This allows you to secure the number now but not have to connect it straight away, giving you time to set up your business, marketing or advertising.
- 1300 and 1800 numbers are awesome! Smartnumbers come with all of the flexibility and benefits associated with regular 1300 numbers and 1800 numbers, including portability, built-in reporting, sophisticated routing, and low-cost national calls for your customers.
How to Get a Smartnumber
All Smartnumbers are regulated by the ACMA (Australian Communications and Media Authority). To make the process easier, you can now get your own Smartnumber through the Alltel Shop.
- Use the Alltel Smartnumber search tool to check the availability of your preferred number.
- If the number is available for immediate purchase, click Add to Cart and proceed with selecting an inbound number plan, routing option, and add-ons.
- At the checkout, provide your details to complete your order. Once submitted, one of our B2B specialists will be in touch with you shortly.
- If your selected number is not available for immediate purchase, select your preferred mode of contact and Alltel will assist you with securing it from the ACMA.
- Once you have acquired the rights of use to your Smartnumber, contact Alltel to get it activated.
Check out the Smartnumbers FAQs to find out more about these numbers.
Getting your Number Connected
Once you have successfully acquired your Smartnumber, you can contact an inbound number specialist like Alltel to get it connected.
As you compare telcos, we recommend that you do more than just compare prices. The telephone is an essential tool for business, so it's important to choose a carrier that provides excellent customer service and can always be contacted when you need them. To help you make this decision, we've provided a list of considerations in our blog post 1300 Numbers: Which Provider is Right for your Business?
You can also call Alltel on 1300 ALLTEL if you have any questions about obtaining your number.